“How did it come to this?” – the cry we hear a lot lately from Christians who are wondering what has happened to the United States. The change in prevailing opinions on “traditional” morals and values, leading to institutionalized, state-approved discrimination of Christians has been stunningly dramatic and amazingly rapid—or has it? If we take the time to examine how we got here, beyond the accurate but incomplete answer of “sin”, we start to see how WE have actually allowed, even contributed to this decline in our nation…AND what we can do in the face of the onslaught.
Table Talk Notes
We were never supposed to be “comfy” in this world—our real citizenship and life itself is elsewhere…Philippians 3: 20 But our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, 21 who will transform our lowly body to be like his glorious body, by the power that enables him even to subject all things to himself.
There is a coordinated plan, a concerted effort to wipe out the Judeo-Christian values the nation was seemingly founded on and held by the majority of citizens for generations. Changes have been made over the past 100 years in (and this is NOT an exhaustive list):
- Morality, especially in Women—Eve is still trying to control the world, and have her cake & eat it too.
- Margaret Sanger—in 1914 begins her campaign promoting birth control to women using the slogan “No Gods, No Masters”. Founds what would become Planned Parenthood in 1921.
- Jazz Age morality was fast & loose with hemlines above the knee
- The labor shortage of WWII had women working outside the home, and they didn’t want to give that “freedom” up when the men got back. Fashion turned to dressing women in men’s clothes, with Kathryn Hepburn’s trousers leading the way.
- In the 60s-70s, the ERA and NOW preach complete equality (yea, even superiority) to men. Educated women forsake the raising of children to climb the corporate ladder.
- The Sexual Revolution (with its mini-skirts & bikinis) convinces women they can be as reckless with multi-partners as men, with no consequences (and if one threatens, just abort it). Sacrificing their own children for convenience, their soul destruction is complete.
- Marriage—the definition held for millennia by virtually every culture thru history, one man and one woman, is overturned and redefined by the US Supreme Court. But the institution had long-since been undermined as couples joined for romantic ideals instead of joining into a covenant with a holy God. We’re even finding out more of how important traditional marriage is.
- The Family—since “Heather Has Two Mommies” was published in 1989 and used in public schools for the youngest ages, the movement to undermine traditional families has pressed forward, despite many studies and statistics on the importance of fathers (and both male and female) in parenting. The state’s position (think Hillary in “It Takes a Village”) is that your children belong to them, to be raised as good global citizens without the constraints of religion or traditional values and morality.
- The Work Ethic–the Great Society of Lyndon Johnson incentivized both intentional single-parent households and living on government hand-outs instead of working
- Education—since at least the early 1900s, have sought to indoctrinate our youth into statist philosophy, denying any Superior Power than itself, and teaching us what to think instead of how to think.
The Scopes trial may have been a victory against the THEORY (yes, it is still called that while taught as settled scientific fact) of Evolution, but only for a brief time.
The removal in the 60s of prayer in school started a complete removal of all mention of Creator God in school, both leading our kids to believe they are random accidents and no different than animals, instead of purposefully created beings made in God’s image with value and potential, combined with…
- Respect and Self-Image (baseless self-esteem)—kids taught to question parents’ values while becoming narcissistic and entitled. Growing imaginary “Right to not be Offended” kills honest communication and freedom of speech, especially of Christian values & the gospel. In 1944, our 18-yr-olds were storming the Beaches of Normandy—today they need “safe spaces” to protect them from the damage caused by merely hearing any idea they disagree with
- Health (Mental Capacity)—coupled with changes in education, designed to ‘dumb us down’ and destroy our ability to think
- Fluoride is toxic, and studies show it doesn’t even help our teeth. Multiple studies show it to reduce IQ and cause severe cognitive brain damage—explains a lot, doesn’t it…
- Materialism—the prosperity of the 20’s made America the wealthiest country in the world, with almost everyone having a well-paying job and extra money to spend. Installment-plan purchasing booms—if you wanted something you got it. Lots of extra cash led to massive investment in the Stock Market, often on margin, to ‘get in on the action’.
- Leisure & Entertainment—The growth of technology started in the early 1900s (electricity, automobile, household appliances) gave us more leisure time—and the advent of the Jazz Age in the ‘20s brought fast times and loose morals. Just like in the failing and falling Roman Empire, today’s “bread and circuses” distract us from the failure of government to meet our basic needs (esp. spiritual) and preserve our freedom
- The Church—with each loss of morality and Christian values, many churches tended to seek compromise with the world. Lyndon Johnson convinced churches to seek and get 501c3 tax exempt status (even though the Constitution guaranteed churches tax-exempt without any gov’t approval). Wanting to “get along” and not rock the boat (or risk their 501c3 status), fewer churches preached “controversial political issues” from the pulpit—now preaching against abortion is considered “political” (reported from an evangelical church in Green Bay area in the past year). John 16:1 “I have said all these things to you to keep you from falling away.2 They will put you out of the synagogues. Indeed, the hour is coming when whoever kills you will think he is offering service to God. 3 And they will do these things because they have not known the Father, nor me. 4 But I have said these things to you, that when their hour comes you may remember that I told them to you. John 15: 18 “If the world hates you, know that it has hated me before it hated you. 19 If you were of the world, the world would love you as its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you. 20 Remember the word that I said to you: ‘A servant is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted me, they will also persecute you…
We have an Enemy in this world who has orchestrated this plan, unbeknownst to the “useful idiots” (so-called by Marx) in the institutions participating in this plan
- The ones promoting these changes have been deceived into believing in myths and simplistic outcomes that are impossible
- Faulty Worldview: refuse God and His Ways, believe man is “basically good” and universally desires peace and harmony despite his culture
- Utopia—Eden or Heaven without God, return to Babel with One World Order (single gov’t, ‘religion’, economic & social system). Woodrow Wilson attempted but failed with the League of Nations. In 1945 the UN was formed to prevent another world war.
- Static Change vs Dynamic Change
Romans 1 | 18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth. 19 For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. 20 For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse. 21 For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22 Claiming to be wise, they became fools, 23 and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images resembling mortal man and birds and animals and creeping things. 24 Therefore God gave them up in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, to the dishonoring of their bodies among themselves, 25 because they exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever! Amen. 26 For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature; 27 and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error. 28 And since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God gave them up to a debased mind to do what ought not to be done. 29 They were filled with all manner of unrighteousness, evil, covetousness, malice. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, maliciousness. They are gossips,30 slanderers, haters of God, insolent, haughty, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents, 31 foolish, faithless, heartless, ruthless.32 Though they know God’s righteous decree that those who practice such things deserve to die, they not only do them but give approval to those who practice them.
We Have The Tools
We have weapons given to us by our Lord to fight this battle, NOT for supremacy in the Institutions participating in the downfall, but for the hearts and minds of individuals. The Titanic hit the iceberg a long time ago and IS going down—our job is to get as many into the lifeboats as possible…
- Personal responsibility and morality
- Letting go of the World: Phil 3 | 8 Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ 9 and be found in him… 1 John 2: 15 Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. 16 For all that is in the world—the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride of life—is not from the Father but is from the world. 17 And the world is passing away along with its desires, but whoever does the will of God abides forever.
- Bringing our children up in the way they should go
- Teaching them the Bible from early ages
- Supporting leaders who represent God’s values
- Realizing life in this world is not meant to be easy: John 16: 33 I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.”
Realizing that this is NOT our home…
Phil 3: 13 Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.