There’s a lot of division in our country today, even among those who call themselves Christians. Depending on your denomination, you may have very different views, very different traditions and even very different beliefs. But that is not how we are supposed to be, not what the Church, with a capital C, was designed to do. Here today to help us go back into the Word to see what the original plan for us was, is teacher and author of the book, Broken Yet Blessed, Kathi McCarty.
Table Talk Notes
An overview of Acts 1-4
Over 26 names in the Word
- The Body of Christ; The Bride of Christ
- The Family of God; The Flock of God
- The Fellowship of the Saints
- The Army of God; The Temple of God
- God’s Husbandry; God’s Habitation
- His Vineyard; His Building
- God’s Heritage; City of God
- Congregation of the saints
- Community of faith
Why does it exist? (Acts 2)
- Teach Biblical doctrine
- Provide fellowship for believers
- Observe the Lord’s supper
- Pray together
- Proclaim the gospel
- Minister to those in need
- TO BE JESUS TO THE WORLD
The first Christian community
- Acts 4:31+ “And when they had prayed, the place where they had gathered together was shaken, and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak the Word of God with boldness, and the congregation (community)were of one heart and soul…”
- Church: Gr ekklesia=called out, gathering, assembly, community
Three characteristics of solid preaching/teaching:
- It exalts the Savior Jesus
- It edifies (builds up faith) the saints
- It exposes sin/brings us to conviction/repentance
- 3,000 & then 5,000 added to their numbers. The church grew!
- Mt 28:18; Acts 1:8; 1 Peter 3:15 – To proclaim the gospel of Jesus Christ
- Jm 1:27 – To minister to those in need
- 1 Thes 5:11 – To encourage one another (fellowship/community!)
- 1 Jn 3:11; Rm 12:10 – To love & be devoted to one another (fellowship/community!)
- Phil 4:6-7 – To pray together (fellowship/community!)
- Acts 2:42+ “…continually devoting themselves to the apostles’ teaching, to fellowship, communion & prayer…”
- What will it take to further the cause of Jesus Christ?
- To be in fellowship with one another; willing to live sacrificial lives with/toward one another.
- Acts 2: 46 “…continuing w/one mind in the temple, & breaking bread from house to house, taking their meals together w/gladness & sincerity of heart, praising God & having favor w/all the people.”
- Breaking bread=communion & meals together
- Fellowship is a lifestyle choice
- Jn 15:11 “…that My joy may be in you…”
- Jn 10:11 “I have come that you may have life and may have it more abundantly”
- Jn 17: “…that they may be one even as You and I are one.”
- That the world may see our love for one another.
- How badly do we want to be His church? (Or is comfortable, complacent, and mediocre ok?)
- Are we willing to pay the price? (How much is it worth to you to develop loving relationships – you’ll need to get out of your comfort zone)
- Be encouraged!
- Rom 8:18+ “For I consider that the sufferings (discomforts, frustrations, torments) of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us…creation waits eagerly for the revealing of the sons of God.”
Further: The Insanity of God Movie