It’s pretty clear there is a tremendous shortage of love in the world today—there’s plenty of what passes for love, from Facebook friends (as long as they don’t say something you disagree with) to mere physical attraction, but as you know if you’ve listened to this show much, REAL love is something different, something rare, self-sacrificing and unconditional—in the Greek the word used is “agape”. Jesus said the world would know his followers by their agape love—but what does that mean? What on earth does that look like? Joining us to explain is teacher and author of the book, Broken Yet Blessed, Kathi McCarty.
Table Talk Notes
1 John 4:7-12 Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God, and whoever loves has been born of God and knows God. Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love. In this the love of God was made manifest among us, that God sent his only Son into the world, so that we might live through him. In this is love, not that we have loved God but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins. Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. No one has ever seen God; if we love one another, God abides in us and his love is perfected in us.
Translating a perfect love for imperfect lives:
God defines love by only one thing – HIMSELF
- God’s love & our salvation
- God’s love & our relationship to Him
- God’s love & our relationship to others
- God’s love & our service to Him
- God’s love & our service to others
Divine love’s attributes & applications:
Love is a core aspect of God’s character/nature and is in perfect harmony with every other aspect of His character i.e. holiness, justice, righteous…
1 Cor 13: 4-8a “Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant5 or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; 6 it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. 7 Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 8 Love never ends.”
Jn 14:31 “…but that the world may know that I love the Father and as the Father gave Me commandment, even so I do”
Rm 5:8 “But God demonstrates His love toward us…while we were sinners, Christ died for us.”
- God’s love & our salvation:
- 1 Jn 4:9-10 “…that God sent His only begotten Son into the world so that we might live through Him…He sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins.”
- Jn 3:16-17 “For God so loved…that He gave…that the world should be saved through Him.”
- God’s love & our relationship to Him:
- Rm 8:15 “For you have not received a spirit of slavery leading to fear again, but you have received a spirit of adoption as sons by which we cry out ‘Abba! Father!” (Listen to Episode 47)
- 1 Jn 3:9 “No one who is born of God practices sin because His seed abides in him; and he cannot sin because he is born of God.”
- Lk 9:23 “If anyone wishes to come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow Me.”
- God’s love & our relationship with others:
- 1 Jn 4:11 “…if God loved us, we ought to love one another.”
- 1 Jn 3:17-18 “But whoever has the world’s goods and beholds his brother in need & closes his heart against him, how does the love of God abide in him? Let us not love with word or tongue but in deed and truth.”
- 1 Thes 3:12 “And the Lord make you to increase and abound in love one toward another and others.”
- God’s love & service to Him/others:
- Rm 12:1 “…present your bodies a living & holy sacrifice acceptable to God which is your spiritual service of worship…”
- I Pet 4: 10-11 “As each one has received a special gift, employ it in serving one another as good stewards of the manifold grace of God….so that in all things God may be glorified through Jesus Christ…”
- What’s love look like in real time?
- Love will always strive for the other’s best.
- Love tells the truth.
- Love faces fears.
- Love takes risks.
- Love is resilient.
- Love chooses God’s ways not our own.
- LOVE LOOKS LIKE JESUS.
- Some closing thoughts:
- “The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us.” ~CS Lewis~
- “Grace teaches us that God loves us because of who GOD is, not because of who WE are.” ~P. Yancey~
- “God loves us too much to indulge our every whim” ~Max Lucado
- “He will exult over you with joy; He will quiet you in His love, and rejoice over you with singing.” ~The Prophet Zephaniah~
- The opposite of love is not hate; it’s indifference or apathy.
- How am I doing with loving God, or others?